Rail Solutions Asia will take place from 15th to 17th May 2024 at the Kuala Lumpur Convention Centre in Malaysia. Regarded by many as the best railway show in Asia, this annual show combines a wide-ranging exhibition, a comprehensive conference programme, and the Annual Congress of the Asian Railway Operators Association and provides ‘A one-stop solution for all your product and information needs’ including 2500 m² exhibition space, 2000+ participants, 120 conference delegates and 10 Asian railway operators.
For more information and to register to attend, visit: https://www.tdhrail.co.uk/rsa/
We have 2x exciting Jobs of the Week this week. In Abu Dhabi, we are looking for an Operational Readiness Expert, and in Malaysia, we are looking for an Electrical Engineer (must be fluent in Mandarin).
The mayors of both Greater Manchester and the West Midlands met with Transport chiefs yesterday as they outlined their plans for a privately funded phase two of HS2. Greater Manchester Mayor Andy Burnham was speaking at the Transport Select Committee yesterday, as he discussed in further detail the case for further devolution of transport policy to the English regions alongside how to improve connectivity.However, he did say that “productive” talks had been with transport secretary Mark Harper and rail minister Huw Merriman on its plan for financing improvements to rail connections between Handsacre Junction in Staffordshire and Cheshire.
Source: Rail Technology Magazine
Alstom and the Romanian Railway Reform Authority (ARF) have recently entered into a substantial contract, valued at approximately 150 million euros, for the supply of 16 Traxx 3 MS electric locomotives and associated 20 years of maintenance and repair services. The agreement, formalised on 29 January 2024, marks a significant step in Alstom’s commitment to providing intelligent and sustainable mobility solutions. The 20-year maintenance and repair period can be further extended by an additional 20 years through a supplementary agreement.
Etihad Rail has completed its first passenger rail journey between Abu Dhabi City and Al Dhannah City. The trip was joined by His Excellency Dr. Sultan Ahmed Al Jaber: UAE Minister of Industry and Advanced Technology and Managing Director and Group CEO of the Abu Dhabi National Oil Company (ADNOC). This new rail service is currently under development, but once fully operational, it will enable ADNOC’s staff and contractors to travel between Abu Dhabi and Al Dhannah.
Source: Railway News
Hitachi Rail has agreed to sell its European signalling interests as part of its deal to buy the Ground Transportation Systems (GTS) arm of the Thales group. Hitachi’s acquisition of GTS was approved by the European Union in October 2023, two years after the deal was initially launched. Italian company Mer Mec has agreed to buy Hitachi’s signalling business in Germany, the UK and France. 550 employees will transfer to MerMec under the deal.
Source: Railway Technology
The High Speed Rail Authority (HSRA) is set to deliver the initial Sydney to Newcastle high speed rail business case with the support of $78.8 million in funding from the Federal Government. Delivering high speed rail between Sydney and Newcastle is a crucial waypoint towards the Federal Government’s commitment to build a high-speed rail network on Australia’s east coast. The Federal Government has committed $500 million to the early stages of developing high-speed rail, including business case works.
Source: Infrastructure Magazine
The US Department of Transportation (DOT) has revealed the latest rail projects to receive funding as part of the Biden Administration’s focus on updating and renewing the country’s aging infrastructure. Two rail lines in California, the Sierra Northern Railway (SNR) and the Mendocino Railway (MR), have been granted a $31.4m Railroad Rehabilitation and Improvement Financing (RRIF) loan by the DOT’s Build America Bureau to fund track expansions and infrastructure rehabilitation.
Source: Railway Technology
Ten Spanish companies, including Talgo, Golendus, Ingeteam, Repsol, Sener and Optimus3D, are collaborating to design, build and install a hydrogen propulsion system for high-speed trains. The Hympulso project aims to achieve a world-first by developing technologies based on renewable hydrogen fuel cells for a high-speed train. This system will be applied to the Talgo 250 ‘all-terrain’ train to help decarbonise the railway across non-electrified sections.
Source: Railway News
Hong Kong Metro operator, MTR Corporation (MTRC) is setting a new standard for sustainable transportation with its latest railway projects. Seven new stations under development have been awarded "BEAM Plus" Provisional Gold or above certification. Additionally, MTRC is collaborating with The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology to develop software that quantifies the embodied carbon of new projects, further aiding in low-carbon construction practices.
Source: Rail Technology Magazine
Job of the Week
Job ID#: 14828
Our client is seeking an Operational Readiness Expert to work in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates.
The Operational Readiness Expert is responsible for facilitating the effective implementation of new operations and services within the railway network. This encompasses developing operating plans with subsidiary companies, determining resource requirements, supporting with regulatory approvals, managing operational readiness budgeting processes, overseeing operator preparedness and asset delivery, and supporting a smooth transition to planned steady-state operations.
Operating Plans Development and Implementation:
* Activities: Oversee the operators development of comprehensive operating plans for new services, outlining procedures, delivery schedules, and performance targets.
* Deliverables: Operating Plans, Implementation Schedules of New Services.
Resource Assessment and Allocation:
* Activities: Oversee the allocation of necessary resources for new operations, promoting optimal utilization and efficiency for the ramp-up phase, and steady-state phase.
* Deliverables: Resource Allocation Plans.
Regulatory Approval and Compliance:
* Activities: Support with accusation of all necessary regulatory approvals for new operations, checking for full compliance with all relevant laws and standards.
* Deliverables: Regulatory Compliance Reports.
Budget Management and Financial Planning:
* Activities: Manage the budgeting for operational readiness, including budget planning and cost analysis.
* Deliverables: Operational Readiness Budget Plans.
* Degree in science, technology, engineering, or any degree combined with relevant experience.
* A minimum of 8 years of Relevant Experience.
* Extensive experience in railway operations, specifically in implementing new services and operations.
* Excellent leadership and communication abilities.
* Leadership and communication
* Project management certificate
* Rail management certification
Contact: Jackie Hendry (email@example.com)
Job ID#: 14854
Discipline: Traction Power
Language: English, Mandarin
Our client is a world leading infrastructure service provider.is the EPCC Contractor for the East Coast Rail Link Project, the largest project in South East Asia and is looking for an Electrical Engineer to join their project team working in Publika KL.
* Manage technical aspects of the traction power and electrical design phase, construction phase, and
commissioning phase to ensure smooth project handover.
* Handle the application, progress, and power supply tracking of external electrical sources for traction power and
* Coordinate with internal and external stakeholders.
* Assist in preparing for the operation and maintenance of electrical and substation systems.
* Collaborate on special projects such as RAMS and EMC.
* Participate in integrated testing and commissioning activities.
* Bachelor's Degree or higher in Electrical Engineering.
* Fresh graduates are welcome
* Proficiency in Mandarin is required as it is necessary for handling with the Chinese system.
Contact: David Hyland (firstname.lastname@example.org)