With 5,000+ attendees, AusRAIL PLUS is the largest rail event in the Asia-Pacific region for rail professionals. Organised by the industry, for the industry, AusRAIL PLUS 2023 promises unparalleled networking opportunities and invaluable insights.
AusRAIL PLUS attracts key industry leaders and decision makers from across Australia, New Zealand and beyond and will take place at the ICC (International Convention Centre) in Sydney, Australia from 13th to 16th November 2023.
Connect with people from across the rail industry. Attendees will include representatives from the following sectors:
• Passenger rail operators
• Freight rail operators
• Heavy haul operators
• Rollingstock manufacturers
• Rail industry suppliers
• Government and industry representatives
For more information and to register to attend, visit https://ausrail.com/
We have 2x exciting Jobs of the Week this week. In Bangladesh, we are looking for a Chief Rail System Expert and in Sydney, Australia, we are looking for a Systems Engineer.
CRRC Tangshan has unveiled the first of two articulated battery railcars to operate solar-powered tourist trains through the Quebrada de Humahuaca World Heritage site in northwest Argentina. Backed by the province of Jujuy, the Tren Turístico de La Quebrada project involves the reactivation of passenger services on a section of the metre-gauge Belgrano Railway branch to La Quiaca near the Bolivian border. Completion of the first train in June was welcomed by the provincial governor, Gerardo Morales, who said it would support Jujuy’s rapidly growing tourism industry.
Source: Railway Gazette International
India’s National High Speed Rail Corporation Ltd. (NHSRCL) on Wednesday awarded Larsen & Toubro with a Rs. 15,697 crore contract for the construction work of 135.45 km Package C-3 of the 508.17 km Mumbai – Ahmedabad High Speed Rail (MAHSR Bullet Train) project. Elevated Package C3 is the longest in Maharashtra and will link Shilphata – Zaroli (chainage Km 21.150 – Km 156.600). It includes 3 elevated stations at Thane, Virar and Boisar. The construction of Thane Depot en route will be carried out via a separate civil construction contract (Package D1) which received 4 bids in May.
Source: The Metro Rail Guy
Île-de-France Mobilités has awarded the ORA consortium the contract to operate and maintain the Southern section of the Grand Paris Express (GPE)’s line 15. This announcement comes just a few days after the GPE company awarded the design-build contract for the western section of line 15 to VINCI. At the end of the procedure launched in January 2021, Île-de-France Mobilités proposed to its Board of Directors on 18 July 2023 that it appoint the ORA consortium, made up of RATP Dev, Alstom and ComfortDelGro, as the holder of the public service contract to operate the new metro line 15 South.
HS2 has successfully carried out the UK’s heaviest drive to install an intersection bridge structure beneath the West Coast Main Line at Fulfen Wood near Lichfield. The 56-metre-long and 19-metre-wide structure will allow Britain’s new high-speed railway to pass beneath the busy existing railway line, on its route going north of Birmingham Curzon Street Station up to Crewe.
Source: Rail UK
Tobu Railway Co. has commenced operations of Hitachi Rail’s new Series N100 SPACIA X trains from Tokyo to the Nikko and Kinugawa Onsen areas in Japan. Compared to the current SPACIA units, these new models will reduce CO2 emissions by up to 40% and will provide net-zero CO2 emissions when using electricity from fully renewable sources.
On the Shanghai Pujiang Line, the contract comprises daily maintenance of APM cars, signalling, extensive monitoring and communications equipment. Alstom‘s Chinese joint venture, CRRC Puzhen Alstom Transportation Systems (PATS), carried out a signing ceremony for the maintenance of the Pujiang Line’s core electromechanical system. The five-year contract was awarded by the Shanghai Shentong Metro Group. Pujiang is a suburban town in the greater Shanghai area.
Source: Railway Technology
Underneath Brisbane progress is underway on the next phase of works in Cross River Rail’s twin tunnels, with workers continuing installation of necessary pipes and cables. About 180 workers are involved in the tunnel fit-out, which includes installing emergency walkways, pipes and hundreds of kilometres of various kinds of cabling to ensure the safe and reliable operation of trains in the tunnels. So far, work is underway on around 40 per cent of the 10km of emergency walkways, while 12km of pipes have been installed.
Source: Infrastructure Magazine
VPRA has recently embarked on a passenger rail-focused plan, Transforming Rail in Virginia, which Jacobs has joined. US technical professional services company Jacobs has been selected to provide consultations for the Virginia Passenger Rail Authority (VPRA) as the state body ramps up mobility and infrastructure programmes.
Source: Railway Technology
Jobs of the Week
Job ID#: 13761
Our client who is in a consortium providing Consulting services for Detailed design tender assistance and construction supervision for Dhaka Mass Rapid Transit Development Project Line 5 (Northern Route) is looking for a Chief Rail System Expert to be based in Dhaka reporting to the Project Director
The Chief Rail System Expert will be responsible for the overall controlling, monitoring and implementation of the project. He will exercise supervisory control over all experts and will issue necessary instructions for efficient and economized execution of all works under his charge and will be the nodal person for the Employer ensuring strict compliance of the Project Management Manual.
The person needs to have an in-depth knowledge and awareness of all relevant applicable codes and rules for the project as he or she will be responsible for:
* Managing all staff related to Railway System
* Reviewing the preview and on-going related studies and data collected
* Technology transfer
* Reviewing the previous and on-going related studies and data collected including MRT Line 6 Design
* Establishing Design Standards for Underground Railway
* Dealing with any other assigned by the Team Leader as per provisions of ToR
* Any other work that may be assigned by the Team Leader/ the Client from time to time
Duration of assignment: 50 Man Months -Continuous
Minimum Qualification and Experience Required
* Graduate Degree in Electrical Engineering from a recognized institution
* More than 15 years of overall experience
* More than 10 years of experience in similar relevant projects
* More than 5 years working overseas (other than home country) with at least 2 years experience in South Asia
and South East Asia
* Has worked on at least one project on Urban railways
* Must be 60 or under.
Key Qualities and soft skills
* Committed to deliver the assigned task within time and allocated budget and to cultivate the positive image
of the Company
* Able to work in multi-disciplinary and geographically diverse environment.
* Should be a team player with good team building and leading skills.
* Can conform to shifting priorities, demands and timelines through analytical and problem-solving
* Flexible during times of change
* Must be able to learn, understand, and apply new technologies
Contact: David Hyland (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Job ID#: 13760
Our client is seeking a Systems Engineer to provide ongoing support with communications and information technology solutions for mission critical systems in Public Transport, and Maritime operations.
Our client is the leading international supplier of communication and information systems for control centres with safety-critical tasks. These 'Control Centre Solutions' are developed and distributed by the client in the business segments Air Traffic Management (civil and military air traffic control, air defence) and Public Safety & Transport (police, fire and rescue services, emergency medical services, maritime organisations, and railways).
The company was established in 2004 and delivers and supports communication and information management projects for air traffic management, defence, public safety and public transport organisations across Australia, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, and the South Pacific Islands. They employ around 130 highly skilled specialists in Australia at its premises in Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne, and Perth.
This role is based in Sydney, Australia.
This is a hands-on role which requires the system engineer to have experience with building and managing software systems on database platforms. Knowledge of communications and information technology for mission critical systems as well as current experience in the Australian Railway, and / or Maritime sector are desirable, but not essential.
The Systems Engineer is responsible for implementing technical solutions and is the customers" primary contact for business requirements and technical issues throughout the entire project lifecycle including ongoing support. The Systems Engineer supports both Project and Service Managers and Solution Architects in successful project and support execution in line with the company and customer processes.
* Establish technical knowledge of the company's existing solutions and processes
* Support non-functional requirements analysis and engineering design
* Technical coordination and handling of work packages in test beds and well as customer environments, including installation, integration, and system acceptance
* Testing, defect identification, and supporting root cause analysis during integration of software into customer environments.
* Creation of technical documentation of systems and interface specifications.
* 2nd and 3rd Level Support, with on-call duty when required.
* Support the local business development team in pre-sales efforts, assisting with technical presentations, setting up of sandboxes and demo environments, designing solutions, and preparing technical inputs for proposals.
* Prepare and support technical trainings.
* A relevant bachelor's degree, preferably in Engineering, Software, Information Technology, or a related discipline.
* Systems Engineering experience working in mission-critical environments with a focus on safety and IT security desirable.
* Good systems, process, and domain knowledge from within a relevant industry would be ideal.
* Extensive installation, configuration, and operations experience with Linux, Docker, and Apache.
* Experience with the installation and setup of Oracle databases, database scripting, data defect analysis, with focus on Oracle tool set (SQLPLUS and SQL-Developer)
* Extensive Windows administration knowledge, including scripting and workstation customization.
* Comprehensive understanding of virtualisation technologies.
* Experience with cloud hosting and georedundancy solutions (AWS, Azure, GCP)
* Experience with virtual and physical networks (including firewalls, routers, and switches).
* Effective problem-solving skills with a "can-do" attitude.
* Commitment to quality and improvement with a good understanding of Engineering standards.
* Experience in requirements management, traceability processes, and test engineering.
* Responsive customer service-oriented approach with a good understanding of SLAs and KPIs, especially around incident, problem and change management.
* Willingness to work directly with end users during test execution and training delivery which may require working remotely at times.
* Ability to work with others and demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with contractors, vendors, clients, consultants, and staff.
Contact: David Hyland (email@example.com)