We have 3x exciting Jobs of the Week this week. In the United States, we are looking for a Principal Contract Manager to work for a global provider of rail solutions and we are looking for an Engineering Manager to work for a leading manufacturer of railroad vehicles.
In Romania, we are looking for a Station Construction Works Supervising Engineer to work on a rapid public transport system project in Bucharest.
Connect Rail 2023
5-6 September 2023 – Melbourne Convention & Exhibition Centre
See the future of rail
Launching in 2023, Connect Rail brings together key industry and government stakeholders, customers, researchers, suppliers, and young rail professionals to showcase the exciting developments that are driving new possibilities, opportunities, and benefits.
Three stages to move between
The Connect Rail conference stages will showcase smart solutions, results-driven innovations, and best practices to give you the practical tools needed for the future. Featuring three dedicated conference stages covering current and future advances in railway technology and engineering, from new rollingstock and track designs to people, projects, and case studies, catch up on the latest R&D, trends, and opportunities as you move between the themed stations that track your interest.
Network in new ways
Connect Rail is designed to help you nurture your network by providing invaluable opportunities to meet face-to-face with the people that matter most to your business.
Make the most of your time through refreshing networking events and spaces, one-to-one meetings, pre and post-event conversations, and the end-of-day drinks reception.
7 firms have bid for Chennai Metro Line-5’s electrical & mechanical (E&M), fire protection, ventilation and air-conditioning contract C5-EM-04 after Chennai Metro Rail Ltd. (CMRL) opened technical bids today. This mostly-elevated 44.6 km long line of Chennai Metro’s 116.1 km Phase 2 project will run in a north-south orientation to connect Madhavaram Milk Colony – Sholinganallur. This contract’s scope includes system works at 22 elevated stations and viaduct between Koyambedu Market and Elcot Park stations.
Source: The Metro Rail Guy
Hitachi Rail has signed a new framework agreement to provide onboard digital signalling equipment for SNCF’s TGV-M fleet. This contract is worth up to 77 million EUR and will see Hitachi Rail supply its bi-standard ERTMS/TVM signalling solution for trains operating across the French and European high-speed rail networks. It includes orders for a minimum amount of 25 million EUR, which can be extended to 77 million EUR over the next five years.
Alstom has presented the new Metropolis metro car for local operator, Transports Metropolitans de Barcelona (TMB) at the UITP Global Public Transport Summit in Barcelona. The event is taking place from 4 to 7 June in Barcelona at the Fira Gran Via Convention Centre. This year, visitors are able to visit the new Metropolis metro car manufactured by Alstom for TBM. In addition, they can test a driving simulator specifically designed for training drivers on the Barcelona metro network.
Stadler and local Swiss operator Pilatus Bahnen have marked the start of operations of new rolling stock on the Pilatus Railway, the steepest rack railway for passengers in the world, near the city of Lucerne. Manufacturer Stadler has delivered new rack-and-pinion multiple units. The 4.6-kilometre Pilatus Railway is a 130-year-old line in the Swiss mountains. It has an average gradient of 35 per cent, necessitating purpose-built rolling stock. The steepest section of the cogwheel Pilatus railway has a gradient of no less than 48 per cent.
In a significant step towards a greener rail industry, Colas Rail UK has recently conducted trials using hydrotreated vegetable oil (HVO) as an alternative to diesel fuel in their locomotives. This move aims to significantly reduce carbon emissions, with HVO offering a claimed 90 per cent reduction in comparison to traditional diesel fuel. They may not be the prime movers in the race to net-zero, but Colas is running with the throttle wide open to become a leader in the industry. In the distinctive yellow and orange livery of Colas Rail UK, locomotive 56051 is leading a green liveried future for the specialist freight and engineering support operator.
The newly-formed High Speed Rail Authority (HSRA), which will formally commence operations on 13 June 2023, has announced the appointment of its Chair and Board members – news welcomed by the Australasian Railway Association (ARA). The Federal Government announced the appointment of Jill Rossouw as Chair of the HSRA Board, and the four other Board members as Gillian Brown, Dyan Crowther OBE, Ian Hunt and Neil Scales OBE. The HSRA will oversee the development of the high-speed rail network along the east coast of Australia, which will travel at speeds exceeding 250km per hour from Brisbane to Melbourne.
Source: Infrastructure Magazine
Project promoter Hyderabad Airport Metro Ltd has appointed a consortium of Systra, RITES and DB as general consultant for the Airport Express Metro Line project. The 31 km line with nine stations will connect Rajiv Gandhi International Airport with Raidurg on the Blue Line, providing an alternative to congested roads. The line will be partly in tunnel, unlike the existing elevated network. Construction is planned for completion in 2026 as part of Phase II of the Hyderabad Metro programme.
Source: Metro Report International
A contract has been awarded for the construction of the Victorian Government’s new tram maintenance and stabling facility at Maidstone – bringing the facility a step closer to major works beginning. Victoria State Minister for Public Transport, Ben Carroll, announced the contract to deliver the project has been awarded to a construction alliance led by John Holland Group. “Our Next Generation Trams will keep passengers moving across Melbourne’s west and now we’re getting on with works to build this new facility in Maidstone – which will keep our modern tram fleet running safely and reliably,” Mr Carroll said.
Source: Infrastructure Magazine
The first of 106 six-car metro trains which Alstom is supplying for the East-West and North-South lines entered passenger service on June 4. Minister of Transport S Iswaran said the trains have features to make rides more comfortable and convenient for commuters, including additional spaces for wheelchairs and pushchairs, perch seats to maximise onboard space and larger windows for a more scenic journey on the above ground sections. An LCD screen above every door shows route and station information.
Source: Metro Report International
Jobs of the Week
Job ID#: 13733
Discipline: Construction Management
Our client is looking for an enthusiastic self-motivated Contract Manager who thrives in a fast-paced environment. The successful candidate is comfortable performing a wide range of tasks from administrative to strategic. The position is based in Oakland, CA/San Francisco Bay Area.
Our client is a fully integrated, global provider of rail solutions across rolling stock, signaling, service & maintenance, digital technology and turnkey. With a presence in 38 countries across three continents and over 13,000 employees, our mission is to contribute to society through the continuous development of superior rail transport solutions.
The person is required to be in the office 3 days with all personnel working in the office on a Wednesday . The other 2 days can be determined by the employee. .
The successful candidate will manage and drive the contract and commercial management aspects of all the details below effectively and will be responsible for:
- Ensuring the identification of opportunities to minimize contract risk and plan commercial risk mitigation strategies.
- Ensuring the provision to BU Regions of the needed information related to the following areas:
- Definition of Contract Management processes, procedures, guidelines, forms and templates;
- Providing commercial assessment of terms and conditions, risks, and assumptions during Bid Phase;
- Monitoring, support, and report on all customer, JV/Partner, and sub-contractor contract-related commercial impacts and risks, to or from the client (For example - placing customer on notice for delays/impacts, contract
changes/credits, or defending against assertions/claims.);
- Developing, implementing and ensuring compliance of appropriate strategic commercial approach, based on contract type (I.e. FFP, T&M, etc.);
- Developing and implementing contract management infrastructure. (I.e. maintenance of contractual records and documentation, contract correspondence, contractual changes, status reports, tools, etc.);
- Monitoring schedule impacts to baseline schedule, in conjunction with Project Planner;-
- Monitoring project contracts to ensure compliance until completion;
- Claims preparation support and disputes handling in accordance with the contract provisions;
Employees enjoy a comprehensive benefits package including Competitive Pay, Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance, Short & Long Term Disability, Life & Accident Insurance, Flexible Spending Accounts, a Retirement Savings Plan, and Paid Vacation. We also offer a number of Work/Life Programs such as Flextime and a variety of Training and Development opportunities.
Required Skills & Experience
* Tertiary qualifications in engineering discipline such as Electrical, Mechanical or Civil; or
* Tertiary qualification in Construction Management; or
* Tertiary qualification in Quantity Surveying, preferably RICS qualified
* From 10 up to 15 years of expertise in contract and/or commercial
Desired Skills & Experience
* Post graduate qualifications in construction law, dispute resolution or contracts management are highly
* Minimum 15-years experience in the railway/infrastructure/construction industry of which at least 8-years
was in senior contract & commercial roles in complex technical or engineering based organization
* Minimum 5 years experience of managing medium to large-scale design/build or EPC projects
Contact: David Hyland (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Job ID#: 13695
Discipline: Rolling Stock
Our client is a leading manufacturer of railroad vehicles and they are looking for an Engineering Manager to join their team in Los Angeles, California.
Purpose: Engineering Manager will supervise, plan, direct, or coordinate activities in Engineering department to align and ensure a high performance culture that emphasizes quality and productivity standards. This position is also responsible to ensure on-going manufacturing strategies that includes quality staffing.
* Manage engineering team, including coaching and mentoring staff, allocating workloads, and overseeing engineering activities.
* Set realistic goals for the team, prioritize issues, monitor and follow up on progress to ensure goals are met.
* Lead the team to solve complex problems through thought leadership and robust analyses.
* Leverage internal and external resources to develop, advance and retain talent.
* Attend meetings with customers and suppliers as the key representative of the engineering team.
* Design/develop/deploy the vehicle electrical system and integration including embedded hardware and software, circuits, wiring and associated mechanical interfaces.
* Design/develop/deploy the vehicle mechanical and structure systems including FEA, strength calculations, car body and truck facilities.
* Design/develop/deploy the core vehicle systems such as Propulsion, Braking, APS, HVAC, Doors, Communication system and TCMS system.
* Performance testing and troubleshooting LRV electrical and mechanical systems, and evaluate and document results.
* Create and review engineering relevant documents, reports, technical proposals.
* Help with special projects as assigned by Vice President of Engineering.
* Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical or related field required; Master's degree a plus.
* 7+ years of experience in electrical, mechanical and systems engineering; experience working in Rolling Stock strongly preferred.
* 2-3 years of supervisory experience.
* Experience with communication protocols such as RS232, RS485, MVB, Ethernet & Internet protocols.
* Extensive knowledge of computer hardware and software.
* Ability to troubleshoot using Oscilloscopes, Logic Analyzers, etc.
* Solid experience with version control.
* A team leader with a strong determination to complete projects which may span several years.
* Excellent schedule and task management skills, and proven ability to meet deadlines.
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
* Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, CAD or related engineering software.
* Ability to travel to various domestic and international destinations.
Contact: Renee Wade (email@example.com)
Job ID#: 13739
Position Type: Contract
Our client is part of a consortium that has one a contract in Bucharest to provide consulting services (technical & financial etc.), designing services, technical assistance and works supervision, for a rapid public transport system between the Henri Coandă International Airport (Otopeni) and Bucharest City,
They are looking for a Station Construction Works Supervising Engineer as the project has already started and they need the person to be mobilised urgently. It"s at the construction supervisory stage already.
Looking at 40 man months
Works Supervision activities (execution technical designs verification, documentations supervision, and works execution, monitoring, etc.) finalized with the commissioning (burn-in tests for commissioning and preparation of documents to obtain the involved
agreements from AFER (Romanian Railway Authority), Emergency Situations Inspectorate (ESI), Ministry of Development and Tourism (MDT) at the moment of commissioning, etc.), including to monitor the construction and equipment proper operation, to prepare
documents and recommendations related to maintenance work, remedies, if necessary) and recommendations to release the performance bonds (activities to be performed after commissioning, during the defect liability period of works, equipments and goods). 14 underground metro stations
Preferably, more than 10 years of overseas experience, incl. 5 years in Eastern Europe, 5 years of experience in the similar position.
Contact: Rajni Tewani (firstname.lastname@example.org)