A reminder to our readers that Asia Pacific Rail gets underway next week and will take place from 31st May until 1st June at BITEC, Bangkok, Thailand.
For the last 25 years, Asia Pacific Rail has brought together more than 25,000 rail leaders from across the globe for the most exclusive and influential railway gathering in the region.
As Asia Pacific Rail enters its 25th year, the event will be bringing you MORE rail operators than ever before, MORE top-class conference content, MORE exhibitors showcasing products and solutions, MORE networking opportunities and above all, MORE opportunities for you to do business.
For more information and to register to attend, visit: https://www.terrapinn.com/exhibition/asia-pacific-rail/
Our Job of the Week this week is in Vietnam where we are looking for a Project Engineer who specialises in E&M Railway systems to work in Ho Chi Minh City.
The 15.5km twin Chatswood to Sydenham metro railway lines in Sydney have begun on-track testing to ensure the safe and efficient operation of the metro system before services begin in 2024. Platform Screen Door interface testing has been completed across all seven new city stations. This test involves rolling stock engineers checking each door of the train and each platform screen door is a specified distance apart.
Source: Infrastructure Magazine
There has been further significant progress at the HS2 Old Oak Common Station site in the west of London. The vast complex will initially serve as the southern terminus of the high speed line, and will eventually become an interchange for HS2 trains, services on the Great Western Main Line, and the Elizabeth Line – which also serves Heathrow Airport. Although the concourse will be at surface level, the fourteen platforms will all be underground in a box almost a kilometre in length.
Etihad Rail and Italian luxury hospitality company Arsenale have signed a memorandum of understanding for the development of a luxury cruise train, which would operate in UAE and potentially in Oman and across the Gulf Co-operation Council countries as the region’s rail network expands. The proposed train would use 15 coaches to be refurbished in southern Italy with Italian craftsmanship and styling inspired by Emirati heritage.
Source: Railway Gazette International
Agra Metro Rail Project has reached another significant milestone as the Tunnel Boring Machine (TBM) Yamuna has been relaunched from Agra Fort Metro Station. This comes after the TBM successfully broke through at the station on April 25th, 2023.
The TBM, now back in action, will be heading towards the Taj Mahal station to continue its tunnelling work.
Source: Metro Rail News
Regional transport authority Metrolinx has appointed a team led by Arup to act as technical adviser for the GO Expansion programme to provide frequent all-day electric train services across the Toronto region. Arup and subconsultants AECOM, Egis and Network Rail will support Metrolinx’s Technical Management Office with the On Corridor Works, the largest capital infrastructure project within the GO Expansion programme.
Source: Railway Gazette International
US-based Wabtec Corporation has signed a deal with MTR Corporation in Hong Kong to modernise 25 locomotives in their fleet. The order, valued at roughly £12m ($14.9m) will see Wabtec working on 25 Mk3 battery-electric locomotives that the company originally built in 1996 and 1997, bringing them more up-to-date with current expectations and thus improving their performance, reliability and service life by more than 15 years.
Source: Railway Technology
The Honolulu Authority for Rapid Transportation (HART) has announced that the penultimate train has now arrived in Hawaii prior to the Honolulu Rail System commencing passenger service on 30 June this year. The Honolulu Metro is the first rail system to be constructed in Hawaii. It will operate using 20 four-car vehicles manufactured by Hitachi Rail that will each have capacity for approximately 800 people.
Hitachi Toshiba Supreme Consortium (HTSC), consisting of Hitachi, Ltd. (Hitachi), Toshiba Corporation (Toshiba) and Toshiba Infrastructure Systems & Solutions Corporation, has been awarded the order to build 12 sets of new generation high speed trains (144 cars) by Taiwan High Speed Rail Corporation (THSRC). The contract is worth approximately 124 billion Japanese Yen (approximately £108 billion). HTSC will deliver the trains based on the most advanced N700S train of Central Japan Railway Company, with delivery to begin in 2026.
Source: Rail UK
Jobs of the Week
Job ID#: 13725
Position Type: Contract
Our client is responsible for the Design & Construction Project for all E&M Systems (Rolling Stock, Signaling, Telecommunication, Power Supply, OCS, Track work, PSD, AFC, Depot & Workshop Equipment, F-SCADA, Signage & Graphics) for New MRT Line-1, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.
They are looking for an experienced Project Engineer who is a specialist in E&M Railway systems. He or she will report to the Project Delivery and Engineering Manager. Their key systems will be Telecommunications, PSD, and F-SCADA. The primary task is to be the technical assistant for all engineering issues, ensuring project processes and commissioning dates are met for the systems above.
* Working with Subsystems, T&C, and C&I team to ensure TEL/PSD and F-SCADA are installed and tested to the requirements.
* Sign of the IRN to ensure full compliance with the procedure and smooth handover from C&I to T&C
* Working with Subsystems and C&I to resolve FRACAS in a safe, timely, and efficient manner.
* Working with Subsystems and C&I to ensure the process is adhered to for as-built drawings.
* Responsible for the Implementation of the Interface Documentation Process from a C&I and T&C perspective.
* Responsible for the coordination of third-party interface and respective client representatives
* Ensuring relevant Subsystem complies with the configuration management process.
* Ensuring Project Database is updated on a regular basis up to and including the taking over certificate.
* Be part of the Permit to Work Process
* Be part of the team that will work with the Independent Safety Assessor
* Work in conjunction with the Health and Safety Manager(s) for On-Site Activities
* Ensuring all company safety, quality, environmental, commercial, and project management procedures are followed as relevant to tasks undertaken.
* Interacting with the Employer, the Employer's Representative, and any third parties for the execution of the necessary onsite activities
* Any other tasks requested by the Project Management team.
* Support subsystem managers to manage their manufacturers (HIKE etc.) if needed.
Mobilization Schedule; April 23- June 24
Required Skill and knowledge.
- At least 7 years of onsite experience including 5 years" of experience in a supervisor or management role in Project Engineering
- Certificate of Graduation
- Fluent in English, in particular strong skills in speaking, writing, interpretation, and translation in English.
- Extensive knowledge of the overall E&M System (Railway System)
- Proficiency in technical writing
- Rail engineering background and experience. Preferable to be shown as a competent test via a known.
international body such as the IRSE, MIET, or Rail Authority via Certificate of Competence, etc.
Contact: David Hyland (email@example.com)