Ms Rajni Tewani, our Business Head & Recruiter for India recently attended the 2nd Annual Rail Modernization Sumit organized by Tricon on 4th and 5th May 2023 at New Delhi, India.
The Summit was showcasing Indian manufacturers and innovative solutions providers to Rail and Metro not only in India but throughout the global. Sponsors of the Summit were provided with stall showcasing their products and Speakers from their companies had the opportunity to speak about their products.
Also, there were Speakers from Government authorities like Ministry of Railways, RITES, Uttar Pradesh Metro Rail Corporation, National Capital Region Transport Corporation, Northern Railways, Haryana Mass Rapid Transport Corporation, Dedicated Freight Corridor Corporation (DFCCL).
Over all it was a great platform for Metro Rail/Rail and Metro NEO companies and professionals to attend to and have an insight of modernization in this sector.
And it's another bumper week for the Jobs of the Week this week. In India, we are looking for a Chief Safety Expert and in Taiwan, we are looking for Project Quality and Safety Manager (must be fluent in Mandarin). And in Abu Dhabi, UAE, we are looking for a System Engineer Manager, Schedule Control Specialist and Catenary Third Rail Expert.
11 May 2023. Canada. Hydrogen locos to be tested on coal trains
Piloting the use of hydrogen locomotives is included in an agreement for Canadian Pacific Kansas City to haul steelmaking coal from Teck Coal’s four operations in southeastern British Columbia. The agreement announced on May 4 builds on existing services for Teck and runs until the end of 2026. CPKC and Teck intend to pilot the use CPKC’s hydrogen locomotives on the trains, with testing commencing in early 2024.
Source: Railway Gazette International
10 May 2023. United Kingdom. New Stadler Metro train completes its first test run
The new Stadler Metro train has successfully completed its first test run on the network as part of the detailed preparations to get it ready for entering service at the end of the year. Nexus, the public body which owns and manages the Tyne and Wear Metro, said the test went smoothly and that the new train had performed well. The testing, which is the latest phase of the £362m new Metro fleet programme, took place during the early hours of the morning on a section of line between South Gosforth and Monkseaton. It was the first time that the new Metro train has had a run on the mainline.
Source: Rail UK
10 May 2023. Singapore. Singapore: Mitsubishi to Supply 8 Additional Trains for Sengkang-Punggol LRT
Mitsubishi Heavy Industries (MHI) has been contracted by Singapore’s Land Transport Authority (LTA) to supply an additional 8 two-car trains for the Sengkang-Punggol Light Rapid Transit (LRT) network. The Sengkang-Punggol LRT network was inaugurated in 2003 and operates as an automated guideway system between two stations on Singapore’s Mass Rapid Transit (MRT) North East Line. MHI’s latest contract to expand the line’s capacity builds upon earlier orders to supply 17 two-car trains and upgrade the signalling system, guideway and vehicle maintenance equipment in response to an increase in passengers using this service.
10 May 2023. Turkey. Alstom launch engineering centre in Turkey
Alstom’s opening of new Engineering Centre at Teknopark Istanbul will increase autonomy and provide real-time customer service. Alstom, a French-based producer of rolling stock, announced the launch of Teknopark Istanbul Centre, its first engineering centre in Turkey, which will focus on railway signalling. The engineering centre is designed to better manage customer demands and enhance local content while offering real-time assistance to projects in Turkey. The regional facility is part of Alstom’s localisation plan, which aims to build crucial expertise in the country while developing a local pool of highly trained engineers in charge of important signalling technologies, such as interlockings, Automatic Train Control and the European Train Control System.
Source: Railway Technology
10 May 2023. India. Delhi-Meerut RAPIDX TBM Sudarshan 4.3 Records 2nd Breakthrough
Shanghai Tunnel Engineering Co. Ltd. (STEC) today celebrated tunnel boring machine Sudarshan 4.3’s second tunnel breakthrough at Sahibabad UP Ramp in Vaishali for the 82.15 km Delhi – Meerut RAPIDX (RRTS) project. This was Sudarshan 4.3’s final breakthrough and STEC’s sixth of eight tunnel breakthroughs planned for this semi high-speed rail project’s 5.6 km underground Package 4 (Sahibabad UP Ramp – Ashok Nagar DN Ramp).
Source: The Metro Rail Guy
9 May 2023. New Zealand. New Zealand Government to Purchase 18 Tri-Mode Trains
The New Zealand government has approved funding for 18 new tri-mode trains for the Lower North Island Rail line. In replacing the line’s current ageing fleet, the new vehicles will provide more reliable, efficient and safer rail services for passengers in Manawatū and Wairarapa. The tri-mode trains will operate using overhead electricity lines, onboard batteries and conventional fuel. Minister of Transport Michael Wood said: “The Government is upgrading New Zealand’s transport system to make it safer, greener, and more efficient for now and future generations to come. Rail is a key component of the system and is well-suited for efficiently moving large volumes of commuters over long distances.”
9 May 2023. Australia. Historic NSW railway station to undergo accessibility upgrade
An historic railway station located at Dubbo, New South Wales, is set to receive an upgrade to deliver a safer, more accessible andmodern facility for rail passengers. The upgrade is funded through the New South Wales Government’s multibillion-dollar Transport Access Program (TAP). It will make accessing the station easier for people with a disability or limited mobility, parents and carers with prams, and customers with luggage. New South Wales Minister for Regional Transport and Roads, Jenny Aitchison, said the final design for the upgrade had drawn on valuable feedback from Dubbo Station users so that the upgrade will meet passengers’ future needs.
Source: Infrastructure Magazine
8 May 2023. India. Delhi Metro Phase IV signalling contract awarded
Alstom has been awarded contracts worth €54m to design, supply and commission signalling and train control systems for the Delhi Metro Phase IV expansion programme. The contracts announced on April 27 cover the 12·6 km extension of orbital Line 7 (Pink) from Mukundpur to Maujpur, and the 24 km Line 10 (Silver) from Aerocity to Tughlakabad.
Source: Metro Report International
8 May 2023. Spain. Alstom to implement Adif innovation on ERTMS for low density lines
Spanish railway infrastructure manager Adif has granted Alstom a contract worth 13.7 million euros, to execute a railway safety innovation project in Madrid, Spain. This project centres on creating a new application for the European Traffic Management System (ERTMS) that is tailored to low-density lines. The project sets itself apart by utilising technologies such as sensor hybridisation (which includes satellite sensors) for positioning purposes, in place of GSM-R networks. The system as envisioned by Adif and Alstom also reduces the need for on-track equipment without compromising on safety, the companies say. It will provide equivalent safety capabilities to those found in high-speed line systems. Less on-track equipment also means that the solution is more cost-effective.
Jobs of the Week
Chief Safety Expert, New Delhi, India
Job ID#: 13715
Our client has the contract to provide project management support for the construction of Double Line Electrified Railway Track with a Signaling &Telecommunication System and related infrastructure for the Rewari-Dadri and JNPTVadodara section (approx. 555 km route) of Phase-2 of the Western Dedicated Freight Corridor and for Procurement of Electric Locomotives.
They are looking for a Chief Safety Expert to be based in their New Delhi office for 6 man-months(probably extended another 12 months)
Minimum academic qualification: Bachelor's Degree in a relevant field
Overall work experience: at least 12 years
Experience in a similar or equivalent position: at least six years
International project experience: at least three years
Work Experience in developing countries: at least one year
Contact: David Hyland (email@example.com)
Project Quality and Safety Manager, Taipei, Taiwan
Job ID#: 13714
Language: English, Mandarin
Our client is looking for Project Quality and Safety Manager (PrQSM) to join our Xinyi One Station Project dynamic tream in Taiwan. The PrQSM is a key person of the project team and Signaling Quality organization in Taiwan, working in close collaboration with a wide range of project teams: project leaders, core project team, planning, integrations, and engineering teams also with customers and sub-system Quality personnel. In this position, you will report hierarchically to D&IS Signaling and Infra Quality Manager and functionally report to the Project Manager of Xinyi One Station. Also will lead a Quality team of three to the overseas Quality status of other Signaling projects in Taiwan.
* Establish and update the Project Quality plan and ensure the proper application during contract execution in accordance with the contract and local requirements, and to the client's processes
* Contribute to the criticality assessment of sub-systems to ensure the right level of safety and quality assurance as well as inspection activities for all identified CTQ.
* Be the preferable interface in the Project Team for all the métiers Quality needed for the Project (Engineering EQ, Industrial IQ, and Supplier SQ)
* Guide project teams in understanding Quality contributions to the project.
* Animate and coordinate the project quality community (system and sub-systems)
* Provide quality awareness on quality activities planned for the project and organize if needed quality training
*Support on request project audits, review and approval of vendor quality systems, and audit compliance.
Project execution controls:
* Support the project teams and the PM to prepare gate reviews & follow up on related action plans
* Report quality and safety alerts and manage Non-conformities and Safety issues
* Ensure the quality of the modifications made during the project
* Ensure that safety assessment is correctly implemented (i.e. safety review) and prepare safety authorization.
* Control project deliverables compliance through inspection and audits to authorize presentation/delivery to the customer
* Ensure that all the REX of all the métiers have been considered in the Risks & Opportunities and closely monitor to prevent the occurrence
* Make sure to manage with the SQ Team and/or Sourcing a good synchronization and follow-up of GO Production and FAI activities, relative to the SPL (Supplier Part List) as part of RAMS
* Is the owner of the Supplier Part List, and ensure the list is properly created by each Sub-system
* Ensure and improve the project quality during the project phase upon request
Measure and improve project quality performance:
* Facilitate problem-solving during the project execution phase to reduce the costs of non-quality (8D, REX, and standards evolution)
* Improve the efficiency of quality teams to reduce the function costs
* Make sure that the relevant stakeholders are included in the Customer issues solving process (if needed).
* Implement an effective corrective and preventive action system
* Provide support for progress periodic reporting through quality indicators and identify improvement opportunities
* Valid Taiwan's Public Construction QA license
* Degree in engineering with a Management background depending on the size of the project
* Experience in managing Quality tools and problem-solving tools
* Awareness of Processes and Products delivered in the project,
* Fluent in Chinese and English
* At least 10 years of Construction or Project Quality experience
Contact: Patricia Hsiao (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Catenary Third Rail Expert, Abu Dhabi, UAE
Our client is seeking a Catenary Third Rail Expert to provide technical expertise in the design, installation, and maintenance of electric power systems used in railways. The purpose of the role is to ensure that the railway's electrical power system, including the catenary (overhead power supply) and third rail (ground-level power supply) systems, are designed, installed, and maintained to meet safety, reliability, and efficiency requirements.
* Designing power systems: responsible for designing power systems, including the layout and configuration of the catenary and third rail systems, to ensure that they meet safety and reliability standards.
* Ensuring compliance with regulations: ensure that all power systems are designed, installed, and maintained in compliance with relevant regulations and safety standards.
* Providing technical expertise: provide technical expertise to stakeholders and other team members to ensure that power systems are installed and maintained to the required standards.
* Conducting inspections: responsible for conducting inspections of power systems, including testing and troubleshooting, to identify and resolve issues before they cause disruptions or safety hazards.
* Developing maintenance plans: develop maintenance plans for power systems, including regular inspections, maintenance, and repair activities, to ensure that they remain in good working order and meet safety and reliability standards.
* Collaborating with stakeholders: collaborate with stakeholders, such as project managers, engineers, and contractors, to ensure that power systems are installed and maintained to the required standards.
* Degree in electrical, Systems, Systems assurance, or a related field.
* A minimum of 8 years of Relevant Experience
Contact: Jackie Hendry (email@example.com)
Schedule Control Specialist, Abu Dhabi, UAE
Job ID#: 13708
Our client is looking for a Schedule Control Specialist to be responsible for the management of the civil and railway cost and change control function pertinent to CAPEX under the Projects business unit, by following up and maintaining the projects schedule, timely issuing payments, and effectively administering change requests and change orders as per the Company Policies and Procedures.
*Manage the database development and maintenance in order to more effectively track the client's program payment activities, contractual milestones, and key performance indicators KPIs as applicable, among other related contractual requirements.
*Formulate progress reports tailored to monitor the costs borne to date and pinpoint the outstanding costs remaining for completion relevant to each contract and procurement activity.
*Review monthly reports/cost reports prepared by third parties (Contractors, Consultants, and PMC) and validate the contract administration status for each consultancy and procurement contract, in line with the agreed-upon scope of work and the client's needs and requirements.
*Process, review, and validate all payment applications submitted or recommended by PMC and review the process of payment disbursement for compliance in accordance with the client's established standards and protocols.
*Develop contract administration plans and procedures and implement outputs in order to ensure all contract requirements and obligations are met in a timely and effective manner, in line with the agreed-upon scope of work.
* Degree in Business/Construction Management/ Engineering or a related field.
* A minimum of 7 years of Relevant Experience.
* Project management certification
* Railway management certification
Contact: Jackie Hendry (firstname.lastname@example.org)
System Engineer Manager, Abu Dhabi, UAE
Job ID#: 13709
Discipline: Systems Engineer
Our client is looking for System Engineer Manager to oversee the Systems Assurance delivery works in addition to facilitating the resolution of critical issues hindering the progress of the SA and the full integration of all Safety Cases, in coordination with the relevant internal and external stakeholders. Implements Processes and improves existing at the project level to allow a smooth delivery of the SA and safety cases to support the delivery of the Safety Cases by the Contractors to enable the certification of the railway. In addition to the definition and verification of future freight and passenger projects.
*Manage the SA team and work on identifying solutions and processes to resolve any SA-related blocking issue.
*Responsible for the delivery and integration of the SA activities within all work packages and between Civil, Transit Systems, and Rolling Stock on freight and passenger railways.
*Monitor the SA activities progress and highlight any critical area that can impact the progress.
*Responsible for the definition of the safety targets and review of deliverables by consultants for the passenger railway.
*Ensure that the Subsystems assurance activities are well coordinated between different disciplines, monitored, and progressing as per the overall project schedule to achieve successful certification on different projects.
*With the help of SA teams, monitor the delivery of SA documents (RAM plans, Reliability Growth Plans, Engineering Safety Management Plans), and programs for delivery of these documents.
* Degree in electrical, Systems, Systems assurance, or a related field.
* A minimum of 15 years of Relevant Experience.
Contact: Jackie Hendry (email@example.com)