This week's Jobs of the Week are in Hong Kong, Thailand and Australia.
In Hong Kong, we are looking for a Senior Service Engineer and in Thailand, we are looking for a Regional Sales Manager. And in Sydney, Australia we are looking for a Principle Sales Manager.
20 March 2023. Taiwan. ST Engineering receives $318m rail contract in Taiwan
Singapore-based ST Engineering’s business Urban Solutions has obtained a turnkey rail services contract valued at more than $318.9m (S$430m) from the Kaohsiung City Mass Rapid Transit Bureau in Taiwan. As part of a larger contract with consortium partner Hyundai Rotem, this order has been awarded for the new Kaohsiung MRT Red Line South Extension (Siaogang-Linyuan Line). ST Engineering Urban Solutions will be responsible for systems integration and overall project management for the extension.
Source: Railway Technology
20 March 2023. India. Chennai metro Phase II train control contract signed
Hitachi Rail is to supply communication-based train control supporting automatic operation at 90 sec minimum headways on Phase II of the 1 435 mm gauge Chennai metro. The Rs16·2bn contract signed on March 15 covers the design, manufacture, supply, installation, testing and commissioning of the signalling, train control and video management system.
Source: Metro Report International
20 March 2023. Malaysia. Alstom delivers complete signalling system for Malaysia’s MRT Putrajaya Line
Alstom has successfully delivered the complete signalling system for the Mass Rapid Transit (MRT) Putrajaya Line, the second line of the Klang Valley MRT project in Malaysia’s Greater Kuala Lumpur region. The second phase of the line covering 24 stations between Kentonmen and Putrajaya Sentral officially opened to the public on Thursday 16 March. The first phase operations comprising 12 stations from Kwasa Damansara to Kampung Batu were delivered for passenger service in June 2022.
Source: Rail UK
19 March 2023. Taiwan. Taiwan High Speed Rail To Buy 12 Shinkansen N700S Series Bullet Trains From Hitachi-Toshiba Consortium In $1 Billion Deal
Taiwan High-Speed Rail Corporation (THSR), the country's high-speed railway service operator, has announced that it will buy 12 train sets from a Japanese consortium consisting of Hitachi and Toshiba in a deal worth $932 million. The deal was concluded after a protracted negotiation lasting over four years.
18 March 2023. Saudi Arabia. Dream of the Desert cruise train planned for Saudi Arabia
A Dream of the Desert five-star luxury cruise train service on the North South Railway from Riyadh to Al Qurayyat on the border with Jordan is planned to launch in 2025. A memorandum of understanding for the project was signed at the Saudi Tourism Forum in Riyadh on March 15 by CEO of Saudi Arabia Railways Bashar Al Malik and Paolo Barletta, CEO of Italian high-end hospitality company Arsenale which is working with Accor to launch Orient Express La Dolce Vita slow travel cruise trains in Italy next year.
Source: Railway Gazette
18 March 2023. India. Delhi-Meerut RRTS TBM S90 Records Breakthrough at Begumpul
Afcons Infrastructure on Friday celebrated tunnel boring machine S90’s second tunnel breakthrough at Begumpul RRTS Station’s North Shaft for the 82.15 km Delhi – Meerut RRTS project. This was S90’s final breakthrough and Afcons’ fourth of six tunnel breakthroughs planned for 5.68 km underground Package 8 of this semi high-speed rail project. This 7.51m diameter Terratec Earth Pressure Balance (EPB) machine, nicknamed Sudarshan 8.3, had recorded its first breakthrough at Begumpul’s North Shaft in October 2022 after tunneling ~750m from Begumpul UP Ramp for the down-line tunnel.
Source: The Metro Rail Guy
17 March 2023. United States. 100th New Light Rail Vehicle Enters Service in San Francisco
The San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency (SFMTA) has added the 100th new four-series light rail vehicle (LRV4) to its fleet as part of its ongoing LRV Fleet Replacement Program. These cars are among 219 light rail vehicles being produced for SFMTA at Siemens Mobility’s facility in Sacramento. Under the LRV Fleet Replacement Program, SFMTA is steadily expanding its fleet, with approximately three new LRV4 train cars arriving each month.
Jobs of the Week
Senior Service Engineer, Hong Kong
Job ID#: 13675
Position Type: Permanent
Language: English, Cantonese
Our client is the global market leader for braking systems and a leading supplier of subsystems for rail and commercial vehicles.
They are looking for a Senior Service Engineer to be based in Hong Kong to provide technical service support to internal and external customers for the company"s products (i.e. Brake, Automatic Doors, HVAC units and others) aimed to facilitate the growth of the business in railway division.
* Responsible for after-sales service support: troubleshooting/ fault diagnosis, health inspection and remedy
* Provide on-site technical support: Calibration of test equipment, measurement, testing and commissioning
* Supervise sub-contractors on retrofit work and maintenance work
* Service report writing and inventory record control
* Handle and support warranty issues
* Provide technical advice to assist on the services and business development
They offer a 5-day work week and a hybrid work environment.
* Higher Diploma /University degree in Electrical / Mechanical Engineering or equivalent
* Minimum 5 years relevant experience in technical supports and services or young engineer with 2-3 will be considered;
* Registration of Electric Worker (Grade A) license or above is an advantage.
* Good communication and interpersonal skills
* Good command of spoken and written English and Chinese, fluent Cantonese is mandatory
* Highly responsible, analytical, well-organized and customer oriented
* Candidate with less experience/ qualification will be considered as Service Engineer
Contact: Jackie Hendry (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Regional Sales Manager, Bangkok, Thailand
Job ID#: 13677
Discipline: Permanent Way
Position Type: Permanent
Our client defines the industry standard across rail fastening systems and aluminothermic welding. They have created rail infrastructure in more than 100 countries with our products and services extending to designing, developing and manufacturing equipment to make constructing and maintaining railways more efficient.
They are seeking an experienced professional to drive the profitable growth strategy in the Asia Pacific Region.
Key Areas of Responsibility:
* Develop a long-term growth sales strategy in APAC under HQ business plan and management.
* Build a strong network of long-term relations with railway industry key stakeholders for the organization under the guidance from management HQ.
* Responsible for lead identification/generation of business opportunities, contract closure and after sales service in coordination with the rest of SRS organization.
* Develop existing client"s portfolio and multiyear- pipeline generation
* Experience in railway industry is a must.
* Promotion of SRS portfolio
* Market analysis: Generate market reports periodically to contribute to SRS global business plan in railway sector business.
* Reporting and close interaction with general management
* Conduct and negotiate business deals in respect to manufacturing and logistical issues
* Ensure the business provides products and services which exceed the customers' expectations.
* Mutually beneficial collaboration with wider APAC sales teams
* Degree in Engineering, Manufacturing or Commerce plus Post graduate Management qualifications
* Proven experience and success in a similar role.
* Excellent skills in strategic planning implementation and execution of business plans to ensure the continued success in the Asia Pacific region.
Contact: Jackie Hendry (email@example.com)
Principle Sales Manager, Sydney, Australia
Job ID#: 13678
Our client a global integrated provider of rail solutions are looking for a Principle Sales Manager to be based in Sydney reporting to Head of Sales Australia to be responsible for the Implementation of the commercial strategy for Australia and New Zealand in alignment with Business objectives and company relevant procedures and guidelines.
Key responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
* Support the Head of Sales in the development of the Commercial Plan for the designated region/clients on a periodic basis;
* Ensure the implementation of the company commercial strategy, including targeted bids, sales for the client's product and new and innovative business initiatives;
* Ensure the definition of the guidelines for the Bid Preparation strategy in terms of Strategic goals (e.g. Customer expectations, relation with third parties, possible partnerships and/or strategic External Providers for specific local regulations to be fulfilled; …), relationships with the Customer, Target price and Key winning factors;
* Ensure, in collaboration with qualification, proposal and bidding units - the execution of all bidding/qualification activities up to the delegated authority (e.g.: bid/no bid decision, bid strategy, proposal submission decision, orders negotiation and signature);
* Ensure the acquisition and reporting of relevant market information in order to optimize the sales activities for the assigned geographical areas (e.g. investment priorities, political environment, competitor profile, required technologies, etc.);
* Ensure the definition and maintenance of key clients, partners, competitors data base with key data information;
* Ensure the continuous update of Companies data base with sales relevant data of the assigned region;
* Ensure the issuing and development of the bidding prioritization framework;
* Ensure support for on-going project delivery teams for negotiation activities/support required by on-going contracts;
* Ensure the monitoring and control of all activities performed by local business facilitators;
* Ensure the set-up of JV/Consortium (partners selection and identification, Agreement on MoU and CA) in accordance with BU commercial strategy and company policies;
* Ensure win-loss analysis for the selected bids within 30 days of results;
* Prepare and present the performance on a regular cadence of the Sales report for the assigned region, or as and when requested.
* Effectively lead the Sales and Bid teams in delivering the successful outcomes for any given bid, tender or initiative. This could include direct reports;
* Support preparation for and attendance at networking and marketing events and conferences in conjunction with the Marketing and External Communications Unit; and
* Prepared to be travelling inter-state or then overseas on various assignments in relation to all activities within the accountability of this role, or then when requested by the Head of Sales.
The candidate of choice should bring more than 10 years of hands-on experience in the Transportation Industry with:
* Significant commercial experience working in complex, multi-discipline engineering projects with Market and Rail Industry Knowledge, Technical knowledge, price awareness, negotiation, contractual knowledge;
* Proven experience in complex Commercial Negotiations for various types of contracting arrangements such as Alliances, PPPs, Lump Sum Contracts and Hybrid arrangements.
* Strong working relationships with technology providers, industry partners, client organizations, other industry bodies such as ARA, IRSE etc.;
* International experience outside the ANZ region is desirable;
* Agile mindset, able to take prompt decisions in a fast paced environment;
* Ability to work and lead in a multicultural environment;
* Demonstrated ability to work in a diverse cultural organization with multiple key stakeholders displaying highly polished interpersonal and communication skills;
* Microsoft Office proficiency.
Key qualifications preferred:
* Experience in Rail Industry across various technologies and systems is mandatory. Any accreditations in relation to this is highly desirable;
* University Degree (economics or engineering) or equivalent Technical Background is mandatory;
* Business Administration qualifications such as MBA or other comparable qualifications are desirable;
Contact: David Hyland (firstname.lastname@example.org)