We are proud to be supporting next year's 2nd Annual Rail Modernization Summit which will take place from 23-24 March 2023 at the Hotel Vivanta Dwarka, New Delhi India.
This summit aims to gather more than 300+ government representatives, ministries, metro authorities, railway board, municipalities and global rail innovators with the motto of modernizing the Indian Rail Transport. Brainstorm and exchange ideas with the industry experts in business and technology. Participate in thought leadership conferences and seminars as 2nd Annual Rail Modernization Summit tackles some of the most critical challenges and questions facing the modernization of rail industry. At the summit witness new age technological inventions, solutions & products which modernize the rail industry for the government and businessman presented by leading solution providers across the world. Plan your journey of discovering latest technologies.
For more details, visit https://traiconevents.com/rms/index.html
And we have 3x Jobs of the Week this week. In the Philippines we are looking for a Project Director (local candidates only) to work on the NSCR Phase 1 and in Vietnam, we are looking for a Maintenance Manager. In Australia, we are looking for Signal Technicians with current or previous experience working in the United Kingdom to work in Perth.
And this will be the last issue of Rail News for 2022. We’d like to take this opportunity to wish all of our Readers a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year from the team at Rail Personnel and we look forward to greater success and prosperity for all in 2023.
Job of the Week
Job ID#: 13629
Discipline: Project Management
Position Type: Contract
Language: English, Filipino
Our client is looking for a Project Director to head the North-South Commuter Railway (NSCR) Phase 1 project and be responsible for setting up the project and construction team in Philippines as per project requirements.
This role is based in Manila, Philippines and the client is looking for local candidates for this role.
Responsibilities & Accountabilities
1.Take overall responsibility of all aspects of the project and provide leadership and direction to the project team to ensure the project is delivered successfully to the customer's satisfaction.
2. Understanding the Contract and ensuring the obligations are clearly applied whilst working with partners and subsystems.
3. Ensure mandatory requirements are implemented and monitored.
4. Conduct contractual negotiations with the Employer as necessary.
5. Act as the focal point of contact with the contract team and Employer.
6. Provide and present reporting on all aspects of the project to the Employer
7. Evaluate project team achievements and investigate initiatives to resolve issues and to improve performance.
8. Take part and champion safety and quality initiatives to ensure the project team is fully focused on these disciplines.
9. Provide leadership and support to all Leads to ensure all work is carried out as per the project plans and requirements.
10. Manage all resources efficiently including third parties to ensure all project timelines are met.
11. Manage and mentor staff to establish an efficient and motivated workforce with emphasis on teamwork, quality and safety.
12. Establish and enforce the project SHE plans to ensure project safety targets are met or exceeded with a zero-tolerance stance with regards to site safety.
Degree in Engineering or related field
▪ 25 years working experience in railway or construction sector
▪ Essential exposure in a senior leadership position managing multi-disciplinary works within a Company or project, including handling project planning, budget and cost control, safety and quality system implementation.
Skills & Knowledge:
▪ Excellent communications skills, problem solving skills, analytical skills negotiation skills
▪ Excellent knowledge of project management (Planning, Organizing, Budgeting, Execution etc.
▪ Excellent knowledge of MS office
▪ A team leader committed to achieve the overall objectives of the project
▪ Has good budgeting skills
▪ Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with key stakeholders, consultants, sub-contractors and suppliers.
Looking at 60 months contract.
Contact: David Hyland (email@example.com)
Job ID#: 13554
Position Type: Contract
Our client is responsible for the Design & Construction Project for all E&M System (Rolling Stock, Signaling, Telecommunication, Power Supply, OCS, Track work, PSD, AFC, Depot & Workshop Equipment, F-SCADA, Signage & Graphics) for New MRT Line-1, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.
They are looking for a Maintenance Manager to assist with activities on the Ho Chi Minh City Urban Railway project to be responsible for:
* Updating the current Maintenance plan to take account of changes in design and maintenance requirements of the current installed or designed equipment since the tender.
* Working with and assisting Sub Systems teams develop, publish and gaining the clients approval for the O&M manuals.
* Assisting the Subsystem teams and Training Manager create training manuals and Documents based on the O&M manuals to support the client and contract requirements.
* Assisting subsystem managers identify and gain the clients approval of Spare parts and consumables lists and plans identifying the requirements for T&C, DLP and 5 years maintenance contract.
* Assisting the subsystems identify any maintenance requirements and support needs during T&C and project phases up to handover.
* Supporting the re negotiation of the 5 year maintenance contract as required.
* Assisting the MMS manager as necessary to ensure the Asset management/MMS System contains all the asset data and is ready for handover to the client.
* Identify the Maintenance resources necessary to transition from building the urban railway to operating the urban railway in line with the Maintenance plan and Training plans
* Ensure the correct and accurate records of maintenance are kept from the time of installation until hand over and into the 5 year maintenance contract.
* Assist in the recruitment of O&M Company Staff. ie Maintenance Team Leaders, Support Engineers Lead Technicians, Maintenance Technicians, Wheel Lathe Team Leader and Servicing Team Leaders
The main task in the next 12 months is to review and update the current maintenance plan and ensure it aligns with the equipment O&M manuals. The plan was written at a high level in 2015 before all the equipment designs were finalized so the details need updating to reflect the actual maintenance processes. The plan, costs and time needed to do the tasks needs to replicate the real maintenance tasks and cycle times. From that the staff needed can be estimated. Once this is done then the person needs to then support the creation of a maintenance team for preparation of trial running in 2024.
* Min 10 year Experience of leading Railway maintenance team on a shift bases comprising of modern rolling stock, track and railway asset including a maintenance depot repair work shop.
* Previous experience of written or update a maintenance plan for a Modern railways to take account of local staffing experience and training.
* Highly experienced in undertaking preventative and corrective rolling stock and railway asset maintenance on a modern urban railway.
* Outstanding Safety Awareness gained in an operational railway engineering environment NEBOSH or IOSH trained.
* Management of large diverse technical teams who will be working on a shift bases 24/7.
* Experience in developing and mentoring staff to gain experience and knowledge of modern maintenance processes and practices.
* Rolling stock test, approvals and commissioning experience preferably gain from a previous modern rolling stock fleet introduction.
* Extensive preventative and corrective railway asset maintenance experience. To include modern fault finding and repair techniques using pc based laptops and remote train diagnostics.
* Knowledge of Maintenance and Specified area protection processes.
* Manual Handling, COSHH certificates
* Experience of direct and indirect assessment of staff on the shop floor.
* Experience of running a maintenance workshop stores and spare parts area.
Competent with calibrated tools and Black store to be returned to manufactures for external repair.
* Experience in the use of modern maintenance management systems (MMS), Preferably IBM Maximo
* Hands on , mature and experience workforce management skills with experience of managing a large team of engineers on shift work.
* Mechanical / Electrical Degree, or equivalent with time served hands on in Railway or other work shop environments such as am maintenance technician or engineering apprenticeship or equivalent proven railway experience.
* Certified Trainer/ Competence assessor
Contact: David Hyland (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Job ID#: 13559
Our client is responsible for the operation and maintenance of the Perth suburban rail network and are looking for a number of experienced signal technicians to join their team in Perth to ensures the safe, efficient and effective first line maintenance of signalling equipment, associated systems including critical power supplies and protected level crossing systems to a high degree of integrity. The role also organises work teams and provides on the job instruction and training to new recruits as and when required.
This is a great opportunity if you are looking for a stable career in Western Australia with a client who offers job stability where applicants can work close to home. You will not have to leave town for long stints to work on fly in fly out rosters. It"s a local Perth job where successful applicants can enjoy the local Perth attractions on their time off. Open to overseas applicants and our client will pay for relocation and arrange work visas.
Candidates must have current or recent experience working as a Signal Technician in the United Kingdom in order to be considered for this role.
As a Signal Technician you will
* Carry out preventative routine maintenance and fault rectification including symptom investigations on signalling equipment, protected level crossings and associated systems and critical power supplies.
* Carry out first line maintenance on signalling equipment.
* Conduct appropriate testing and monitoring against procedures to ensure signalling equipment and system safety, integrity and reliability is as required.
* Carry out technical tasks required for commissioning of new equipment, systems and technology.
* Participate in required training and maintains competency in equipment, systems, specialist tools and precision instruments.
* Provide technical information that is needed by managers to develop budgets, maintenance work programs and costing of repair work.
* Provide relevant supervision, technical guidance and assistance to other staff and contractors if and when required.
* Organise and manage work teams and other resources including contract work.
* Extensive knowledge, competency and practical experience in maintenance and fault finding on power signalling systems, protected level crossings and associated equipment.
* Demonstrated working knowledge and experience in fault rectification and field maintenance on Point Operating Equipment, Signalling Interlocking and Remote Control, Wayside Signalling Equipment inc. Automatic Train Protection
* Ability to competently use appropriate hand and power tools, specialist tools and relevant test instruments.
* Ability to perform general and electrical calculations, and to read and interpret technical drawings and plans.
* Possession of a current Western Australian "A" grade Electrical Workers Licence endorsed "Electrical Mechanic" and/or "Electrical Fitter" or equivalent.
* Possession of a current Western Australian "C" class driver"s licence or equivalent.
* Demonstrated ability to analyse and rectify faults on complex electrical systems.
Communication and Interpersonal
* Sound written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills.
Conceptual, Analytical and Problem Solving
* Demonstrated proficiency to download and analyse data from data loggers and submit reports based on such analysis.
* Proficient in using relevant software programs and computer equipment, including laptop and keyboard.
Contact: Renee Wade (email@example.com)
Hitachi’s Blues train was launched for active service for Trenitalia in Sicily on Tuesday. The train stands out for its use of diesel, battery and electric power. The Blues had its static international presentation last September at the InnoTrans event in Berlin. The Hitachi Blues can use its diesel engines while running on non-electrified lines. At stations or across short distances, the train can rely on battery power alone. The engines are also switched off during breaking and when departing from stations. This cuts fuel consumption and CO2 emissions in half compared with regular diesel trains, Hitachi claims. On electrified lines, the Blues uses pantographs.
Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sánchez and King Felipe VI have inaugurated the Madrid-Murcia high-speed railway line. Thanks to an investment of more than 410 million EUR, which includes the installation of advanced signalling technology, AVE journey times between Murcia and Madrid have now been reduced to 2 hours and 45 minutes. This investment is part of the country’s commitment to sustainable mobility and territorial cohesion through the expansion of its high-speed rail network.
Source: Railway News
Five consortia have submitted pre-qualification applications for the General Consultant contract of Hyderabad Metro’s Airport Express Line which will connect Mindspace Junction with Rajiv Gandhi International Airport via 10 stations. This 32 km semi-high speed rail line of Hyderabad Metro Phase 2 project will be funded by Telangana Government and executed by HAML (Hyderabad Airport Metro Ltd). Its foundation stone was laid by Telangana’s Chief Minister on December 9, 2022.
Source: The Metro Rail Guy
Siemens will supply trains, signalling and telecoms and build a depot under a turnkey contract. THE Parklife Metro consortium led by Plenary Group and including Siemens, Webuild and RAPT Dev, has been selected to deliver the stations, systems, trains, operations and maintenance (SSTOM) contract for the joint Australian and New South Wales government project.
Source: International Railway Journal
The Metropolitan Transit Authority of Harris County (METRO), based in Houston, Texas, has debuted the first of 14 new fourth-generation (H4) light rail vehicles (LRV). These vehicles will run on the METRORail Red Line, which operates in and around downtown Houston. The new cars have been designed with an open seating plan and almost four feet of aisle space to improve passenger flow and better accommodate wheelchairs, strollers and passengers with bicycles.
Source: Railway News
The first of 93 eight-car metro trains being built by CRRC Qingdao Sifang for Hong Kong MTR’s network has entered service on the Kwun Tong Line. Described at the time as the largest single investment in rolling stock by MTR Corp, the Q trains were ordered in 2015 at a cost of HK$6bn. Under the ‘Urban Lines Vision’ project, they are intended to replace the first generation of rolling stock supplied by Metro-Cammell in 1979; these M trains are now reaching the end of their service life after several refurbishments.
Source: Metro Report International