The 6th Asean Rail Expansion Summit 2022 will take place from 8-9 December 2022 at the Grand Plaza Hanoi Hotel in Hanoi, Vietnam. Based on successful completion of the previous summit, 6th Asean Rail Expansion Summit 2022 will bring you the most exclusive and influential railway gathering in ASEAN region. Visionary speech & project case study will lay the foundations for two days of intensive learning, networking, discussion and brainstorming the future path of railway development in Southeast Asia market. To register and for more information, visit: http://railexpansion.com/
Our Jobs of the Week this week are in India, Malaysia and Vietnam. In India, we are looking for a Project Director, in Malaysia we are looking for Rail Alignment Engineer and in Vietnam, we are looking for a Maintenance Manager.
Call for Abstracts - 12th IHHA Conference 2023
The International Heavy Haul Association (IHHA) is pleased to announce that Abstract Submission for the 12th International Heavy Conference 2023 (12th IHHA Conference 2023) is Open! The 12th IHHA Conference 2023 is set to take place in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil on 27 – 31 August 2023. The theme for the conference is: Application of Heavy Haul Innovations for a Sustainable World
Under this theme, the agenda for this Conference will cover all the trending topics in heavy haul railways related sustainability, showcasing new innovations, initiatives and technology. It will also cover strategic conversations about the future of Heavy Haul rail sustainability. For more information on the Theme, Sub-Themes and how & where to submit your Abstract, please view the Call for Abstract brochure HERE or visit the conference website at www.ihhario2023.com
Jobs of the Week
Job ID#: 13624
Discipline: Project Management
Language: Japanese, English
Our client has the contract to provide project management support for the construction of Double Line Electrified Railway Track with Signaling &Telecommunication System and related infrastructure for Rewari-Dadri and JNPTVadodara section (approx. 555 km route) of Phase-2 of the Western Dedicated Freight Corridor and for Procurement of Electric Locomotives.
They are looking for an experienced Project Director to be based in their New Delhi office for 12 to 24 months to be responsible for overall management of the project including contract administration, QA QC, Safety, schedule control, cost control etc.
Our client is looking for candidates who are fluent in Japanese for this role.
Qualification of the position is as follows:
minimum bachelor's degree
more than 25 years of working experience in this field
more than 15 years of experience in railway projects
more than 7 years of experience as a Project Director/Project Manager
overseas project experience more than 5 years
FIDIC contract experience
High leadership and communication skills are required.
Contact: Rajni Tewani (email@example.com)
Job ID#: 13554
Position Type: Contract
Our client is responsible for the Design & Construction Project for all E&M System (Rolling Stock, Signaling, Telecommunication, Power Supply, OCS, Track work, PSD, AFC, Depot & Workshop Equipment, F-SCADA, Signage & Graphics) for New MRT Line-1, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.
They are looking for a Maintenance Manager to assist with activities on the Ho Chi Minh City Urban Railway project to be responsible for:
* Updating the current Maintenance plan to take account of changes in design and maintenance requirements of the current installed or designed equipment since the tender.
* Working with and assisting Sub Systems teams develop, publish and gaining the clients approval for the O&M manuals.
* Assisting the Subsystem teams and Training Manager create training manuals and Documents based on the O&M manuals to support the client and contract requirements.
* Assisting subsystem managers identify and gain the clients approval of Spare parts and consumables lists and plans identifying the requirements for T&C, DLP and 5 years maintenance contract.
* Assisting the subsystems identify any maintenance requirements and support needs during T&C and project phases up to handover.
* Supporting the re negotiation of the 5 year maintenance contract as required.
* Assisting the MMS manager as necessary to ensure the Asset management/MMS System contains all the asset data and is ready for handover to the client.
* Identify the Maintenance resources necessary to transition from building the urban railway to operating the urban railway in line with the Maintenance plan and Training plans
* Ensure the correct and accurate records of maintenance are kept from the time of installation until hand over and into the 5 year maintenance contract.
* Assist in the recruitment of O&M Company Staff. ie Maintenance Team Leaders, Support Engineers Lead Technicians, Maintenance Technicians, Wheel Lathe Team Leader and Servicing Team Leaders
* Min 10 year Experience of leading Railway maintenance team on a shift bases comprising of modern rolling stock, track and railway asset including a maintenance depot repair work shop.
* Previous experience of written or update a maintenance plan for a Modern railways to take account of local staffing experience and training.
* Highly experienced in undertaking preventative and corrective rolling stock and railway asset maintenance on a modern urban railway.
* Outstanding Safety Awareness gained in an operational railway engineering environment NEBOSH or IOSH trained.
* Management of large diverse technical teams who will be working on a shift bases 24/7.
* Experience in developing and mentoring staff to gain experience and knowledge of modern maintenance processes and practices.
* Rolling stock test, approvals and commissioning experience preferably gain from a previous modern rolling stock fleet introduction.
* Extensive preventative and corrective railway asset maintenance experience. To include modern fault finding and repair techniques using pc based laptops and remote train diagnostics.
* Knowledge of Maintenance and Specified area protection processes.
* Manual Handling, COSHH certificates
* Experience of direct and indirect assessment of staff on the shop floor.
* Experience of running a maintenance workshop stores and spare parts area.
Competent with calibrated tools and Black store to be returned to manufactures for external repair.
* Experience in the use of modern maintenance management systems (MMS), Preferably IBM Maximo
* Hands on , mature and experience workforce management skills with experience of managing a large team of engineers on shift work.
* Mechanical / Electrical Degree, or equivalent with time served hands on in Railway or other work shop environments such as am maintenance technician or engineering apprenticeship or equivalent proven railway experience.
* Certified Trainer/ Competence assessor
Contact: David Hyland (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Job ID#: 13369
Discipline: Permanent Way
Our client is a multi-disciplinary firm of consulting engineers which commenced practice in the 1980"s.and is a leading consultant in all disciplines with extensive experience in engineering and management activities in Malaysia
They have been appointed as Independent Checking Engineer for the ECRL project and are looking for an experienced rail alignment engineer to work from their Malaysian office answering to the Technical Director.
Responsibilities and Authorities:
* Plan, schedule, conduct and coordinate track 2D and 3D alignment design, infringement check for rail projects.
* Carry out concept, preliminary, detailed design of alignment (vertical and horizontal) and/or review of the design of engineers and drafting work of drafters.
* Prepare geometric details of track alignment including horizontal and vertical curve details and cant parameters.
* Locate pier positions along the alignment in discussion with Viaduct team
* Perform the relevant supporting calculations and design details for conformance to codes and standards.
* Provide technical support and respond to site queries related to alignment during construction
* Manages quality control reviews for track alignment design within the project corridor.
* To adhere to Company Quality and Environmental Management System, Policy and Procedures.
* Bachelor's Degree in Civil Engineering.
* Ideally 8 years" experience in leading and developing track alignment design
* MRT, LRT, High Speed, Metro, Monorail alignment design and 3D modelling experience required.
* Conversant in software such as Bentley Open Rail, Power Rail Track and AutoCAD
* Experience in U Girder Alignment design will be added advantage
Contact: Rajni Tewani (email@example.com)
The Sydney Metro West project has new contractors on board to deliver the final, eastern tunnelling stage of the project, with the $1.63 billion contract awarded to a joint venture. John Holland, CPB Contractors (CPB) and Ghella joint venture (JCG JV) have been awarded the Eastern Tunnelling contract to deliver 3.5km of metro rail tunnels between The Bays and Sydney CBD. Preparations for tunnelling on this final section of the line will start in 2023.
Source: Infrastructure Magazine
The Federal Parliament has passed the new High Speed Rail Authority Bill 2022, marking the start of the High Speed Rail Authority establishment, as well as supporting and developing a high speed rail network in Australia to connect major cities to significant regional locations. The Authority will provide independent and impartial advice on the policy and standards of high speed rail; and plan, identify and secure corridors. The Authority will also oversee the construction and operation of the high-speed rail network, and coordinate with state and territory governments, industry, business and communities to enhance Australia’s long-term rail investment.
Source: Infrastructure Magazine
French multinational rolling stock manufacturer Alstom has secured a new three-year maintenance contract from Panama Metro (MPSA). Scope of the contract consists of the preventive and corrective maintenance of the rolling stock, signalling and power supply system of Panama Metro’s Line 2. The 21 km viaduct line can transport 16,000 passengers per hour in each direction, as well as over 40,000 passengers per hour in one direction with a horizon-year capacity.
Hitachi Rail has been awarded a Framework Agreement worth €867 million, as the leader of a consortium of companies, to design and deliver European Rail Transport Management System (ERTMS) digital signalling on 1,885km of the Italian rail network. The new contract covers central and northern Italy – including the lines of Emilia Romagna, Tuscany, Piedmont, Lombardy, Liguria, Veneto, and the Friuli-Venezia-Giulia regions. The contract, awarded by Ferroviaria Italiana (RFI), follows the award of a €500 million framework agreement to Hitachi Rail for the design and implementation of ERTMS digital signalling on 700km of rail lines across Italy in November 2021.
Source: Rail UK
The signing took place between the two parties at COP27 this month. The 35-kilometre-long Line 6 is part of Egypt’s plans to increase and improve public transport capacity and experience, and will be the first driverless metro in Africa. Its construction will reduce congestion on Cairo Metro Line 1 by accommodating approximately 1.5 million passengers. It will also provide more transport options to travellers, with 26 stations; 12 of which will be underground.
Citing greater awareness of climate change and the need to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, Wabtec has entered into collaborative research and development agreements with the Oak Ridge and Argonne National Laboratories to identify potential options for applying hydrogen in the rail industry. Although it expects hydrogen to play a role in achieving a zero-emission global rail network, Wabtec explained that ‘given the cost and maturity of the technology, it is not currently ready for commercial implementation in the freight rail industry’. It believes that a collaborative approach is needed to bridge the gap between emerging technology and practical application.
Source: Railway Gazette International
The Department of Transportation has awarded Hitachi Rail a turnkey contract to supply electrical and mechanical systems including track and ETCS Level 2 for a section of the North South Commuter Railway project. The ¥114bn contract CP04 announced on November 17 is being funded by the Japan International Co-operation Agency. The scope includes trackwork, signalling, electrification, telecommunications, depot equipment and fare collection systems for a 35·4 km section of line running north from Solis in Manila to Malolos, which will serve nine stations.
Source: Railway Gazette International
The 18·3 km extension of the Washington metro Silver Line from Wiehle-Reston East to Dulles International Airport and Ashburn was opened for revenue service on November 15. ‘Dulles was already known for the many direct flights it offers to and from destinations across the country and around the world, and now we finally have a direct and convenient connection from Dulles to downtown’, said Washington DC Mayor Muriel Bowser at the inauguration ceremony.
Source: Metro Report International