We are proud to be supporting the 12th annual New Zealand Rail Conference which will take place at the Hilton Auckland on 29-30 November.
Following the results of New Zealand’s General Election in October, this two-day conference and exhibition is not to be missed.
New Zealand Rail 2023 will bring together key industry and Government stakeholders, suppliers and customers to network and collaborate on the innovation, technical expertise and investment needed to ensure a reliable, resilient and sustainable future for rail in New Zealand.
For more information and to register to attend, visit: https://www.informa.com.au/event/conference/transport-logistics/new-zealand-rail/
We have 3x exciting Jobs of the Week this week. In India, we are looking for a Technical Sales Manager, in Taiwan we are looking for an Electrical Manager and in Sydney, Australia, we are looking for a Mechanical Engineer Technical.
London Northwestern Railway (LNR) has introduced the first of its Class 730 electric passenger trains on the West Coast Main Line. These three-carriage Class 730/0 sub-class units will typically operate in pairs as 6-carriage trains. Due to their spacious interiors, the six-carriage Class 730/0s have a higher total capacity than the eight-carriage trains they are replacing. The new units are ultimately planned for service on routes in the West Midlands but have been temporarily introduced on the West Coast Main Line until five-carriage Class 730/2s are brought into operation next year.
South Korean rolling stock manufacturer Hyundai Rotem has announced the launch of the KTCS-2 safety system along the 180km Jeolla line, which is reported to increase the line’s capacity by 20%. This will be the first time the KTCS-2 line has entered commercialisation and will travel between Iksan, Korea’s northern Jeolla province and Yeosu, a port city on South Korea’s East China Sea. The train signal system, which is interoperable with ETCS, ensures safety across rail operations. It works by executing speed control and track switches to prevent train collisions and derailing incidents.
Source: Railway Technology
Network Rail has successfully completed the first major stage of work to modernise railway signals across Cornwall, with passenger train services resuming yesterday (Monday 13 November) after 13 days of round-the-clock work. Work took place between Tuesday 31 October and Sunday 12 November to continue replacing signals that have reached the end of their working life with new digital technology. Network Rail’s contractor Siemens installed 35,000 metres of cabling, plus new equipment and carried out testing of the new system while the line was temporarily closed.
Source: Rail UK
National railway and logistics group Transnet has established an interim rail infrastructure manager as part of plans to open the network to third party train operators in 2024. Vertical separation forms part of the government’s National Rail Policy which aims to facilitate private sector investment, encourage greater use of rail and ensure the network is properly maintained. The interim infrastructure manager established on November 1 will engage with an interim regulator, known as the Interim Rail Economic Regulatory Capacity, to develop plans and manage access until a permanent structure is in place.
Source: Railway Gazette
The Australasian Rail Association (ARA) has released a sustainability guide that aims to assist the rail industry move towards net-zero faster, announced during the 2023 AusRAIL PLUS event. On Track to a Sustainable Future – Australasian Railway Association Sustainability Guide, produced in partnership with Arup, provides practical advice on the key issues of leadership, decarbonisation, resilience, biodiversity and diversity and inclusion. The guide includes best practice case studies of innovations on the network and demonstrates how operators, track owners and manufacturers are working with their suppliers to deliver improved outcomes.
Source: Infrastructure Magazine
Alstom has signed a contract with Dallas Fort Worth International Airport (DFW) for the modernisation and replacement of its Skylink Automated People Mover (APM) system. This project will include the overhaul, retrofit or replacement of vehicle and wayside components for the airport’s APM to ensure continued safe and reliable operations. The contract is valued at just over 72.2 million USD. It follows a 2022 agreement for Alstom to continue maintaining the 64 Innovia APM 200 vehicles, subsystems and related components at DFW.
Hitachi Rail has signed a €861m ($920m) deal with Italian rail operator Trenitalia for the construction of 30 trains for use on the country’s high-speed rail network. The agreement, which also includes a €287m option for ten more high-speed trains, will see the ETR1000 trains built at the manufacturer’s Italian factories in Naples and Pistoia, with the first train set to be delivered in early 2026.
Job of the Week
Job ID#: 13670
Position Type: Permanent
Our client is looking for a dynamic young professional for the position of Technical Sales Manager for Railway Business. This role will be based in Delhi.
Our client is in the niche business of Train Control and Management System (TCMS) solution for Mainline and Metro trains. They are the India partner of AMiT, spol. s.r.o., Czech Republic. They offer products complying with international general (EN) and technical (UIC) standards; it includes information systems for passengers, IP surveillance and audio systems, TCN communication, communication infrastructure and on-board control systems
The ideal candidate is a motivated, well-organized individual who has a deep understanding of prospecting and developing strong relationships with customers.
* Develop and execute strategies to drive business in new and existing markets
* Manage customer relationships
* Generate revenue
* Bachelor's degree in Electrical or Electronics or equivalent experience in Business
* 5 + years of sales experience
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Skills and experience
* Collect and consolidate customer requirements, discuss with engineering team for new projects
* Provide quick response to key customer requests on technical and application support, propose the best solution, based on our portfolio to fully meet customer goals
* Organize customer trainings
* Travel to visit customers
* Experience in the Railway market for TCMS (Train Control and Management Systems) system integration using various communication protocols for field bus systems such as MVB, RS485, CAN, Ethernet or similar will be a plus
* Good interpersonal and communication skills, team player
* Fluent in English
* Independent, proactive way of working
Contact: Rajni Tewani (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Job ID#: 14809
Language: Mandarin, English
Our client is seeking an Electrical Manager (Hsinchu).
* Lead all aspects of Design related to the project internally and externally, lead and supervise all relevant communication, lead all aspects of the project that are related to the design and engineering; set and supervise the technical standards for the project in concordance with the project scope of work and in alignment with the Project Manager.
* Provide direct project-related supervision to Project Discipline Leads, Space Manager, and Project CAD Coordinator. Attend overall project coordination meetings.
* Manage the project design setup and follow up according to the project start-up checklists and Design Management Checklists and the project Scope of Works to manage the Project Deliverable Plan.
* Submit to the Project Manager for approval and report the current status regularly to the Project Manager and Regional Engineering Manager. Provide monthly reports for the project design and input to the monthly project report.
* Review project scope, the design deliverables, and the related design organization regularly. Manage the project design manpower planning in collaboration with the Project Manager and highlight gaps or inefficiencies in manpower and/or qualification to the Management.
* Establish and maintain the Project Engineering Execution Plan (EEP) and related project procedures, Communicate and implement EEP to the project team, and conduct training as required
* Establish, submit for approval, and keep up-to-date the Project Design Criteria or Basis of Design (BOD) based on the project's understanding of the Design Scope and Change Management Process. Lead all design-related Change Control. Maintain the Project Design Issues List.
* Degree in Engineering
* Master's Degree in Engineering (preferable)
* Professional Engineer preferred
* Diploma holders with an additional 2 - 3 years' experience unless equated with professional certifications
* 12 - 15 years of professional-related experience with 5 years in a leadership capacity
* Worked in Taiwan and fully aware of the Taiwan local Authority Laws and Regulations
* At least 10 years of Design experience in a high-tech industry or other multiple discipline-oriented construction business
* At least five years of experience in a leading position in a fast-track project
* At least five years of experience in managing staff, coaching/mentoring, and developing people
* Experience in implementing change strategies internally
* Experience in strategic and operational planning and implementation
* Experience in project management
* Experience in other country codes
Contact: Patricia Hsiao (email@example.com)
Job ID#: 14815
Discipline: Permanent Way
Our client is seeking a Mechanical Engineer Technical.
Key Areas of Activity & Responsibility:
* Maintain effective operation of the Technical Department, inclusive of Design, Development and Plant Engineering requirements.
* Provide assistance as an additional resource for Sales & Marketing.
* Provide assistance as an additional resource for the Quality management systems.
* Assist the internal auditors in conducting internal audits to the annual audit plan and close out the issues identified in these audits in a timely manner. Assist the quality team in improving the effectiveness of the internal audit process.
* Conduct internal audits to the annual audit plan in a timely manner and assist the system owners in closing out issues identified during these audits. Assist the quality team in improving the effectiveness of the internal audit process.
* Provide accurate advice on technical aspects of quotations and contracts in conjunction with Sales and Marketing.
* Provide and maintain the company's industry representation through being an active member of relevant industry associations.
* Must have an engineering degree from a recognised tertiary institution.
* Strong ability in project management and product design work.
* Strong understanding of Wayside Monitoring Systems.
* Strong experience in sales and marketing product support.
* Strong experience in relationship management for customers.
* Willingness to travel nationally and internationally on a regular basis as required.
* Proven people management skills.
* Able to communicate effectively at senior management level.
* Work with and support the other members of the senior management team, particularly the Managing Director.
* Proficiency in MS Office particularly Excel, Word and PowerPoint.
* Exceptionally well organized with the ability to manage one's own work-flow.
* Impeccable communication skills; both verbal and written.
Contact: Renee Wade (firstname.lastname@example.org)