We have 3x exciting Jobs of the Week this week. In Taiwan, we are looking for a Commissioning Engineer with experience working on data centre projects. In Thailand, we are looking for a Regional Sales Manager and in Perth, Western Australia we are looking for Signal Technicians (with experience working in the UK or New Zealand).
And there is more and more work coming up in Australia. If you are interested to work in Australia, please send your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
TAIWAN’s governing Executive Yuan has officially approved construction of the Taipei MRT Circular Line East Section, an important phase helping to achieve the city government’s vision of a 49.3km circular railway around the capital. Crossing both Taipei City and New Taipei City, construction of the MRT Circular Line has been divided into four sections: Phase 1, which opened in January 2020, the Phase 2 South Section, the Phase 2 North Section and the Phase 2 East Section.
The Global Centre of Rail Excellence (GCRE) and Hitachi Rail have signed an agreement to test the latest rail technologies, including British-built trains, battery systems and digital solutions at the new site in Wales. The GCRE is a planned rail innovation centre at the Nant Helen surface mine in Wales. The site will provide research, testing and certification of rolling stock, infrastructure and new technologies.
Tobu Railway unveiled the first of 24 aluminium-bodied Series N100 EMUs on April 15, branding its new fleet as ‘Spacia X’. Ordered from Hitachi in November 2021, the 1 067 mm gauge EMUs are based on the manufacturer’s A Train family and built at Kasado. Each six-car unit will provide 212 seats, including private compartments, lounge areas and a bar. The Series N100 EMUs are intended to operate limited express services on the 95 km Tōbu-Dōbutsu-Kōen – Tōbu Nikkō line, the 16 km Tobu Kinugawa line from Shimo-Imaichi to Shin-Fujiwara, and the 41 km Skytree line from Asakusa to Tōbu-Dōbutsu-Kōen. The first set is expected to enter passenger service on July 15.
Source: Railway Gazette International
Transport Minister Adil Karaismailoğlu announced on April 14 that the government is planning a ‘super high speed’ railway between Istanbul and Ankara. Services would link the country’s political and economic capitals in just 1 h 29 min compared with today’s fastest timing of 4 h 5 min over the existing 533 km high speed route built in 2008-14. The 344 km route would diverge from the existing Istanbul – Ankara high speed line at Adapazarı and run via Sakarya and through the Bolu mountains to Nallıhan and Ankara. Designed for trains to run at a maximum speed of 350 km/h, the line would require construction of 52 tunnels with a total length of 120 km and 19 viaducts with a combined length of 14 km.
Source: Railway Gazette International
Singapore’s Land Transport Authority (LTA) has awarded two contracts to Siemens Mobility and ST Engineering Urban Solutions to advance its delivery of the Cross Island Line (CRL). The first contract is valued at approximately 450 million SGD (310 million EUR) and will see Siemens Mobility provide its communications-based train control (CBTC) signalling system and platform screen doors (PSD) for the underground line.
A major rail project in the southwest of France, also called ‘grand projet ferroviaire du Sud-Ouest’ (GPSO), will extend the high-speed track linking Paris to Bordeaux on two new lines: Bordeaux-Toulouse and Bordeaux-Dax. SNCF Réseau expects 5 million additional passengers per year on these lines. Work on this 14-billion-euro project will start at the end of the year.
Deputy Premier of Victoria and Transport Minister, Jacinta Allen, has confirmed in an interview with ABC Radio on 17 April that the state’s airport rail link will not be finished by its original completion date of 2029. In the interview Ms Allen said that the delays are due to slow negotiations with Melbourne Airport, which the government has described as “challenging”. Melbourne Airport Rail is due to connect Melbourne Airport to Victoria’s regional and metropolitan train network – forming a key part of the Suburban Rail Loop.
Source: Infrastructure Magazine
Tracklaying in Melbourne’s cross-city Metro Tunnel has been completed, the Victoria state government confirmed on March 30. Visiting Parkville station, Acting Premier and Minister for Transport & Infrastructure Jacinta Allan said completion of tracklaying in the 9 km twin-bore tunnels would pave the way for test trains to begin running under the city centre in the second half of the year. The line is now expected to open for revenue service in December 2025.
Source: Metro Report International
As part of the New York East River Tunnel Rehabilitation project, Amtrak has launched a Request for Qualifications (RFQ) for a construction contractor to renew two of the tunnel’s four tubes. This work will modernise the tunnel’s infrastructure to improve safety, service capacity, reliability and security for trains operated by Amtrak, NJ TRANSIT and Long Island Rail Road. The selected construction contractor will rehabilitate the East River Tunnel tubes 1 and 2, which connect Penn Station to Queens and are each approximately 13,000 feet long.
President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan opened a 3·3 km three-station extension of Ankara metro Line M4 on April 12. The extension connects Atatürk Kültür Merkezi with the newly expanded Kızılay station, which is served by the M1 and Ankaray metro lines. It has intermediate stations at Ankara’s main line station, which provides interchange with the Başkentray suburban rail corridor and Ankaray, and at Adliye, which serves the city’s main court complex. The expanded Kızılay terminus has the capacity to handle 600,000 passengers a day.
Source: Metro Report International
Jobs of the Week
Job ID#: 13559
Our client is responsible for the operation and maintenance of the Perth suburban rail network and are looking for a number of experienced signal technicians to join their team in Perth to ensures the safe, efficient and effective first line maintenance of signalling equipment, associated systems including critical power supplies and protected level crossing systems to a high degree of integrity. The role also organises work teams and provides on the job instruction and training to new recruits as and when required.
This is a great opportunity if you are looking for a stable career in Western Australia with a client who offers job stability where applicants can work close to home. You will not have to leave town for long stints to work on fly in fly out rosters. It"s a local Perth job where successful applicants can enjoy the local Perth attractions on their time off. Open to overseas applicants and our client will pay for relocation and arrange work visas.
As a Signal Technician you will
* Carry out preventative routine maintenance and fault rectification including symptom investigations on
signalling equipment, protected level crossings and associated systems and critical power supplies.
* Carry out first line maintenance on signalling equipment.
* Conduct appropriate testing and monitoring against procedures to ensure signalling equipment and
system safety, integrity and reliability is as required.
* Carry out technical tasks required for commissioning of new equipment, systems and technology.
* Participate in required training and maintains competency in equipment, systems, specialist tools and
* Provide technical information that is needed by managers to develop budgets, maintenance work
programs and costing of repair work.
* Provide relevant supervision, technical guidance and assistance to other staff and contractors if and when required.
* Organise and manage work teams and other resources including contract work.
* Extensive knowledge, competency and practical experience in maintenance and fault finding on power
signalling systems, protected level crossings and associated equipment.
* Demonstrated working knowledge and experience in fault rectification and field maintenance on Point
Operating Equipment, Signalling Interlocking and Remote Control, Wayside Signalling Equipment inc.
Automatic Train Protection
* Ability to competently use appropriate hand and power tools, specialist tools and relevant test
* Ability to perform general and electrical calculations, and to read and interpret technical drawings and
* Possession of a current Western Australian "A" grade Electrical Workers Licence endorsed "Electrical
Mechanic" and/or "Electrical Fitter" or equivalent.
* Possession of a current Western Australian "C" class driver"s licence or equivalent.
* Demonstrated ability to analyse and rectify faults on complex electrical systems.
Communication and Interpersonal
* Sound written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills.
Conceptual, Analytical and Problem Solving
* Demonstrated proficiency to download and analyse data from data loggers and submit reports based on such analysis.
* Proficient in using relevant software programs and computer equipment, including laptop and keyboard.
Contact: Renee Wade (email@example.com)
Job ID#: 13677
Discipline: Permanent Way
Position Type: Permanent
Our client defines the industry standard across rail fastening systems and aluminothermic welding. They have created rail infrastructure in more than 100 countries with their products and services extending to designing, developing and manufacturing equipment to make constructing and maintaining railways more efficient.
They are seeking an experienced professional to drive the profitable growth strategy in the Asia Pacific Region.
Key Areas of Responsibility:
* Develop a long-term growth sales strategy in APAC under HQ business plan and management.
* Build a strong network of long-term relations with railway industry key stakeholders for the organization under the guidance from management HQ.
* Responsible for lead identification/generation of business opportunities, contract closure and after sales service.
* Develop existing client"s portfolio and multiyear- pipeline generation
* Experience in railway industry is a must.
* Market analysis: Generate market reports periodically to contribute to global business plan in railway sector
* Reporting and close interaction with general management
* Conduct and negotiate business deals in respect to manufacturing and logistical issues
* Ensure the business provides products and services which exceed the customers' expectations.
* Mutually beneficial collaboration with wider APAC sales teams
* Degree in Engineering, Manufacturing or Commerce plus Post graduate Management qualifications
* Proven experience and success in a similar role.
* Experience in railway industry is a must.
* Excellent skills in strategic planning implementation and execution of business plans to ensure the continued success in the Asia Pacific region.
Contact: David Hyland (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Job ID#: 13618
Discipline: Test and Commissioning
Language: Mandarin, English
Our client is a global leader in design, engineering and delivery of facilities for high-tech industries and they are looking for a Commissioning Engineer to work in Taoyuan, Taiwan.
Our client is looking for candidates who are fluent in Mandarin and English but will also consider local Taiwan based candidates.
Tasks & Responsibilities:
* Enforce the Company Safety Policy on site during commissioning and pay due diligence to all safety aspects at all other times
* Support/lead creation of commissioning plan
* Provide technical and field support to the commissioning staff
* Clarify and maintain interfaces between different systems/discipline during commissioning
* Check all Commissioning check sheet procedures for accuracy and completeness
* Create, maintain and track progress of commissioning schedule
* Ensure that determining target dates for construction completion are in line with the Commissioning schedule
* Be responsible for the completion and update of the Commissioning tracking System / log
* Ensure with the Construction Managers and System Engineers that all QOR have been recorded and documented during pre Startup/Startup
* Place commissioning completion tags to equipment when commissioning is completed
* Coordinate system equipment and room acceptance activities with Subcontractors and Package owners
* Be responsible for the safety, maintenance, and proper care of Commissioning and testing equipment - Implement Lock Out Tag Out on site in accordance with procedure requirements.
* 5+ years related experience with commissioning or installation of technical systems.
* Diploma or Technical Education Commissioning or Engineering.
* Process system knowledge, MSR or electrical system qualification.
* Independent and service-oriented way of working as well as teamwork and communication skills.
* Language skills: both English and Chinese.
Contact: Patricia Hsiao (email@example.com)